So here are the facts:
Fact: It’s hot here.
Fact: Turning the oven on makes it hotter.
Fact: Sometimes, I’m tired and don’t want to make dinner.
Fact: I too, am human.
Fact: You will make this recipe. You will love this recipe.
After all, honesty is key to any good reader/blogger relationship.
So begin by prepping the seasonings: Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, dried basil, and fresh thyme.
Mix them all together to create a dry rub.
Then get out an onion.
Peel and remove ends.
Cut into slices.
Split up into individual rings.
Take out a lemon.
Cut into thin slices.
Because when life gives you lemons… you, uh, slice them…
Now, break out that clucker…
I have a confession to make.
This is the first time I have ever cooked a whole chicken.
I know, I know. But I corrected the matter.
So rinse your chicken.
Remove the inside bag of goodies. Keep them if you wish.
I did not wish.
Stuff the chicken with onion and lemon.
Holding a chicken is a strange thing.
It’s like holding a baby.
You’re not really sure where to pick it up, its heavy, slippery, and you’re afraid you might drop it.
So be careful.
Apply the prepared seasonings to the chicken.
Place the clucker in the crock pot.
Add more onion and lemon.
This is the point where you go off and live your life.
Then come back to this:
It is unbelievably tender and literally shredded when I took it out of the crock pot.
Serve it up with some glazed baby carrots and mashed potatoes and this my friends is a-
slow cooker chicken story.
The best part is that with only two people eating a whole chicken…I stretched this 8$ meal into BBQ chicken sandwiches & Chicken Quesadillas.
Well worth the time and money. Try it out!
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp, Onion powder
- 2 tsp. Salt & Pepper
- 2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 2 sprigs, minced fresh Thyme
- Combine all the spices into one bowl and set aside.
- Cut the ends off of the onion and peel. Then make ¼ inch slices.
- Separate the rings of the onion and set aside.
- Slice the lemon into ¼ inch slices and set aside.
- Remove your chicken from the packaging and rinse.Remove the bag of innards and discard,
- Stuff most of the onion and lemon slices into the inside of the chicken.
- Cover and rub the chicken with the seasoning mixture. Place in the crock pot.
- Add remaining onion and lemon slices to the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hour or 6 on high.