It’s TACO TUESDAY Bay-Bay!
Bust out the tort-tillas my friends and cheer up from a case of the Monday’s and make this for dinner tonight.
Start by preparing the chipotle mayo that basically makes this dish what it is. And its irresistibly simple.
Combine mayo, sour cream, adobo peppers and sauce into a bowl.
Add a bit of salt n’ peppa to taste if you so wish.
Use a fork to stir and break up the peppers a bit…until all combined.
I added a bit of green onion for garnish. Cause pretty food tastes better.
Well…that’s what I am going with anyways.
Next, create your beer batter. Add some flour and an egg to a bowl.
Stir into a paste and add a bit of garlic powder, curry, and seasoning salt for a bit of flava-flav.
Carbonation creates a nice rise in your batter when you fry; creating a crispy crunchy outside.
I believe lagers are better for beer batters than a lighter beer so stick with those.
Since we cannot find this beer back in Chicago, I chose it to accompany my fish.
Pour the beer into your seasoned flour mixture.
Sorry for the crummy lighting in this picture…I am working on it.
Mix it together.
Cut your tilapia into strips. My fillets were very thin so I just cut them in half.
Keep in mind the size of the tortilla you will fill.
Find a large saute pan and fill with oil for frying.
Batter your fish like so:
Coat the other side as well.
I fried one fillet first to test out the oil.
I then fried 3-4 fillets at a time.
Cook each side until a nice golden brown.
While they are frying, heat the tortillas in the oven till warm.
Remove fried fillets onto a plate to drain excess oil.
Using a corn tortilla, place one fillet in the middle.
Toss some cabbage right on top.
Add a bit of fresh lime juice and slather on some chipotle mayo-hey-o!
Finish it off with a bit of cilantro for garnish.
You can serve this with rice and beans…or plan on filling up solely on these
scrumptious tilapia tacos! Enjoy!
- ¼ cup Mayo
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 2-3 Adobo Peppers
- 1-2 Tbsp. Chipotle sauce (from can of peppers)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Lb Tilapia, cut into strips
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Curry
- 1-2 tsp. Seasoning salt
- 1 Egg
- 6 oz. Beer (lager preferred)
- Oil for frying
- Corn Tortillas
- 1½ cups Cabbage
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- In a small mixing bowl combine the first six ingredients and blend with a fork till combined.
- Prepare the beer batter by combining the flour, egg, and seasonings together.
- Add in the beer and whisk or stir with a fork till no more lumps remain.
- Heat ½ cup of oil in a large bottom saute pan on medium high heat.
- Place the corn tortillas into tin foil and place in the oven on a low temperature until warm.
- Test the oil to by adding a drop of batter into the pan. If bubbling occurs the oil is ready.
- Drop each piece individually into your batter and cover completely. Immediately place into pan.
- Fry each side until golden brown- cook time depends on thickness of fillet
- Drain the fish onto a plate to remove excess oil.
- Cut your lime into wedges and juice over each fillet/
- Create your taco by adding cabbage, chipotle mayo, and cilantro for garnish. EAT IT UP!